How to Plan Easy Grammar
Easy Grammar is straightforward. The student would simply do the next lesson each day, 5 days a week. Planning problems crop up when grammar is not done daily and the books for older students have many more lessons than school days. It is at that point where you must think about how you will divide out the lessons during the school year.
This is how I planned Easy Grammar
I planned based on series planning, in other words, I added no dates or days on the planner, just one lesson after another in the planner. Lesson Series for an entire book is briefly explained here: Using the Quarter Planner There will be an example on this page.
Quarter planners and semester planners would both work. You can find those types of planners here: Term & Subject Homeschool Planners
Look through the student worksheets and determine how many worksheets there are and then decide:
- How many days a week you will have grammar.
- How long you will use the book. (one year or two years)
- If you will assign more than one sheet a day. (not recommending this)
- If using one book for two years:
1. Will you use the worksheets in consecutively. or
2. Will you use every other worksheet in order to reserve similar lessons for the next year?
Make the Lesson Plan Series:
In each cell of the planner, write the page number(s). If the lesson is associated with a new concept that you will teach, highlight the cell with a highlighter.
(please note: I do not have a current book, this example is based on the old purple book starting somewhere in the middle.) The page numbers are based on the reproducible worksheets that are in the teacher's book. (I have an economical copy machine.)
Name: Jane Austen Class: Grammar (4X a week)
Add to the bottom of your planner this information:
T = Teacher Page (This is a day to teach the lesson, I recommend highlighting all teaching days.)
WS = worksheet page
Materials: Easy Grammar Plus (list the books used)
- Take note of how many times a week this class will be done.
- Highlight all teaching days. Highlighting the teaching days is for your benefit. At a glance, you can see which days that you should be prepared to teach the lesson.
- After making your plan, print or copy at least one additional copy of the plan.
- With the additional copy, teach your child to check his schedule and to mark off lessons completed.
- Check the work as soon as possible. It is best to check work immediately after the child finishes worksheet. Give feedback and note the grade in your planner.
Note: If you must make a weekly plan of all subjects for records, use your subject planners each week to fill in the up-coming week in a weekly planner. [See Example of this: Transfer Plans from Subject Form to Weekly Form] You could also fill in a weekly plan daily or after the week is over. Just like it is with all school planning, do what best suits you and gets the job done.
July 28, 2007
Do You Need the Teacher's Book
I think so, my experience is that the teacher's book is useful and it saves time.
The workbook is a good deal and will save you time. I recommend buying a workbook for each child that is using the books over *copying pages from the teacher's book. Below are some points to consider.
Depending on which workbook that you need, each page costs only a few cents. When considering if you should get the workbook versus using a copy machine, use this formula to arrive at the cost per page.
Workbook Price divided by number of pages = cost per page
This only helps if you have a good idea of how much it costs you to make copies of pages with your copy machine. Be certain to include the cost of paper in your estimate. Additionally, consider your time. If you do not own a real copy machine, as opposed to an all-in-one, or if your copy machine is expensive or awkward to operate, buy the student books.
Note:I'm not familiar with the test booklet because they did not exist when we used Easy Grammar.
Updated November 1, 2012
* Before making copies, make sure that it is not forbidden, sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't, sometimes permission is limited.