Nature Journal- The Tabs
One day a long time ago, I sat down and put together the organization of the children's nature journals, Before this we used little booklets or loose paper.
Here is the organization of the journal. The main categories will be bold and the subcategories will be italic.
- Gear (store specialty pages that are made to hold specimens)
- Writings (for poems, Bible verses, other works not by the child)
- Animal Kingdom | Glossary
- Trees | Specimen | Observation
- The Great Garden | My Garden | Flowers | Wild Places | Reference
- Skywatching | Weather | Bird Watching (bird feeder pages) | Nightsky (stars and planets)
- Journal (Poems, notes, etc. by the child)
- Sketching (Place heavy paper here that is to be used by the child for drawings. The drawings may be later placed in the proper category.)
To add a bit of flair to the nightsky divider I made it from black construction paper and painted stars with white-out.
Page from Writings Category
For this category, I printed lines on speckled paper.
September 29th, 2008
Updated Friday, 11-Oct-2013 21:32:33 PDT
Choose categories and subcategories based on your location and the types of natural areas that you will visit. For instance, if you live near a lake or an ocean and can visit, add a category in the book for that.
In this nature journal, I placed Trees in its own category because I anticipated that we would study trees quite a bit over the years.
Bird Watching could have been placed in Animal Kingdom instead of Skywatching.
Every item is not subcategorized. For instance, just behind the Skywatching divider, I placed Measuring the Seasons pages and there is no subcategory tab for those pages. (The shadow chart)
Our Nature Journal Links
- Nature Journal
- Nature Journal Tabs
- Tabs - How to Make the Dividers
- Specimen Page
- Specimen Page - Leaves
- Specimen Page - Flower
- Specimen Page - Wings
- Nature Journal Drawings and Details
- Nature Journal Garden Plant Page
- Nature Journal Weather Page
- Nature Journal Bird Feeder Page
- Nature Journal Back Cover
- Related in Some Way
- Full Sized Paper - Printable Nature Journal
- 1/2-Sized Paper - Printable Nature Journal
- Nature Study - Measuring the Shadows
- A Child's Simple Folded Nature Journal
- Spined Soldier Bug
- Taking Photos through a Microscope
- Lady Beetle Metamorphosis
- Lunar Eclipse & Drawing Exercise
- Video: Playing Dead, by a False Potato Beetle
- Video: Monarch Butterfly Emerging
- Pringles Can Viewer and Constellation Slides