- 1/2 lb. ground lamb
- 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 2 slices semi dried (day old) bread
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground fenugreek (substitute: oregano)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 recipe of Tzatziki Sauce
1) Mix lamb and beef in a glass bowl or on a flat clean surface.
2) Crumble bread into meat mixture.
3) Add herbs and spices to the mixture and mix well.
4) Stir egg into meat mixture.
5) Form mixture into 4 large thin patties and place on a medium hot grill for 5 minutes per side or until the Gyros is cooked through.
Serve sliced gyros on warm pita bread with fresh sliced tomatoes, onions and Tzatziki sauce.
Donna's Technique: The meat mixture is very sticky. To form the thin patties, do this:
- Lay out a 2-foot long sheet of plastic wrap on the counter.
- Add a 4 ounce ball of the meat mixture on the plastic wrap, not in the middle, but to one side.
- Fold the other half of the plastic wrap over covering the meat.
- Press down on the plastic covered meal ball with your hands and then with a rolling pin to obtain an even 1/4 - 3/8 inch height.
- Leave the now flattened patty in the plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or, if cooking now, peel it off and cook the patties.
Method Two - I like this one better because I can cook an entire slab of gyro meat and then cut it into strips.
- With your hands or a rolling pin, flatten one pound of the gyros mixture between two large sheets of plastic wrap.
- Try to flatten to an even thickness of 1/4 - 3/8 inch.
- Press a crease in the center of the rolled meat so that the plastic-wrapped rolled mixture can be folded and placed in the refrigerator or freezer.
Recipe Links - or see All Links
- Coconut Macaroons
- Peanut Butter Cookies - Gluten Free
- Lemon Pecan Refrigerator Cookies
- Rice Crispy Treats
- Spicy Popcorn