A family favorite, Taco Salad is especially good as a side with grilled hamburgers and hotdogs.
- 1 large firm head of iceberg lettuce, washed, drained, and broken into pieces
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup green onions, cleaned and chopped (you can as little as 1/2 cup, depending on what you like)
- 1 15 oz. can chili beans, drained, but not rinsed (these are commercially canned pinto beans with chili flavorings added)
- 6 oz. Taco flavored Doritos chips, broken into smaller pieces (Or use the flavor that you like best. If you can find it, Taco flavored is best.)
- 8 oz. bottle Catalina dressing (I never use the entire bottle of dressing.)
Toss ingredients just before serving. This serves 8-12 people
Tools and Tips
- A salad spinner makes drying the lettuce easier.
- You might need a medium to large sieve for draining the beans. Alternatively, opening the can lid 90% around and leaving the lid attached and then turning the can upside-down to drain could be a second best option. Just make sure the lid is positioned so that the beans do not fall out.
- You might need a cutting board for the green onions or use scissors.
- You will find that using an 8 quart mixing bowl is best because this makes a lot of salad. An 8 quart mixing bowl measures roughly 13.5 wide by 7.5 inches tall.
- A firm head of iceberg lettuce is only a little "squishy" when squeezed. If all of the iceberg lettuce is very squishy or fluffy, you might need 2 medium heads.
Recipe Links - or see All Links
- Chili Con Carne
- Chicken Basil Fettuccine
- Chicken Salad
- Beef and Potatoes Skillet Dish
- Porcupine Balls[ground beef]
- Skillet Spaghetti
- Pork Chops in Mushroom Gravy
- Spaghetti- Pie 2 with Photos canned sauce
- Spaghetti Pie- homemade sauce
- Sliced London Broil
- Tuna Plate
- French Bread Sandwiches
- Quick Bean Burritos
- Main Dish Dinner Salad