This is decent junk food. Once in a while, everyone wants junk food. Some diet experts recommend that we “splurge” once a week. They caution us not to do it more often than that!
Here is my version of nachos. It’s a rather loose recipe, think of it as more of a guideline.
Serves 4, more or less.
Below are some food items that you will need. Feel free to add to this or substitute or remove items.
Ingredients that are cooked
- 1 lb ground beef
- Chili powder
- Cumin powder
- 1-15 ounce can pinto beans
- Chili powder
- 8 ounces (or less) Romaine lettuce (I used part of a bag of Premium Romain that also contains carrot and red cabbage)
- 1 tomato – chop into bite-size pieces and slightly salted
- 1 ripe avocado – peel and slice
- Sour Cream
- Fresh fruit (Either pick up a package of pre-cut melons, pineapple, and grapes or get a melon and cut it up. This is a side item and very important!)
- 12 ounce bag of tortilla chips (I used Tostitos Bite Size Gold)
- Salsa Con Queso – warmed (This is spicy cheese sauce, I used Tostitos medium salsa con queso. It is in a jar and can be usually found in the potato chip isle that you never enter except for junk food day.)
The Cooking Part
Put the ground beef in a frying pan and cook it. While cooking, sprinkle on some chili powder, cumin powder, and salt. The actual amounts are modestly estimated (more may be needed)- cumin powder: heaping 1/4 teaspoon, chili powder: close to 1/2 teaspoon and salt to taste. When the beef is done, transfer it to a bowl. Pour the fat from the pan. Put the pan back on the stove and add the UNdrained pinto beans. Enlist the help of someone to mash the beans in the pan while it warms. Sprinkle some chili powder on the beans, not much though. If you have a helper, while the beans are warming and being mashed, go to the next step as follows.
Putting the Nachos Together
- In a large bowl or plate for each person: Pour some tortilla chips in each one.
- For each serving take a big hand full of romaine and place it on a cutting board. Slice it into strips of around 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch wide. Place the sliced romaine on each pile of chips.
- Divide the ground beef and place a portion on each pile of romaine lettuce.
- Divide the beans and add a blob to each portion on top of the beef.
- Add tomatoes and avocado to each serving.
- For those who like it, add a dollop of sour cream.
- Divide the salsa con queso and pour it over the top.
- Add the fresh fruit to the side.
Two of the servings were topped with a few sliced jalapeño peppers.