Ham Sandwich using Sliced Smoked Ham such as Kentucky Legend Ham
This is how I make a ham sandwich using my Sourdough Milk Bread and the good type of ham, the type that one might serve at dinner or at breakfast. To be more specific, not the thin-sliced deli ham. Other essential ingredients are sharp cheddar cheese that is sliced off the block just before adding it to the bread and sliced pepperoncini peppers.
This sandwich is cooked and I use a small George Foreman grill. If you don’t have one, use something else to cook the sandwich, possibly a heavy frying pan.
- Right now is the time to start heating up the cookware, whether it is a George Foreman grill or a frying pan.
- Warm 2-3 slices of smoked ham or enough for 2 full layers of ham. Use the type of ham pictured here, I do not recommend using the thin “deli” sliced ham. I warm the slices in a microwave oven. This is just to get the middle of the sandwich slightly warm to get this started.
- Take 2 slices of sourdough milk bread.
- On one slice add some mayonnaise
- On the other slice add the following-
- Prepared mustard, as much as you like
- Slices of sharp cheddar cheese, as much as you like, at least cover the bread with cheese that is no less than 1/8 inch thick
- Cover the cheese with pepperoncini pepper slices
- Last, add the ham, break the ham if needed to make it fit better on the bread.
- Add the other slice of bread on top to make the sandwich.
- Place the sandwich in the heated George Foreman grill (or pan)
- Cook until it is golden brown.
Serve with potato chips or steamed potatoes, a small salad or raw carrots.