Chili Con Carne
This chili uses simple ingredients, is easy to make, and is okay for those on a reduced carbohydrate diet. Choose your preferred bean. I like either pinto or small red beans. Beans can be cooked ahead of time and frozen.
- 3 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced (or used a handful of dried minced onions)
- 1 28 or 29 ounce can of Crushed Tomatoes
- 2 cups of cooked beans or one 15 ounce can of beans
- 5 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- salt to taste, (if everything is unsalted to begin with, this may take up to 2 teaspoons salt or more)
Brown ground beef and cook onions in
large 6 or 8 quart stock pot. If there is excessive fat, spoon it out. Add
the crushed tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, beans, and some salt. Fill the
tomato can with water and add the water to the pot. Bring to a simmer.
Reduce heat to maintain simmer, cover the pot, and stir every now and then. After about an hour, taste it
and add any additional salt or chili powder. Cook an extra few minutes and
Can be refrigerated for several days. For our family of two adults and two teens, this is enough chili for two meals or more. This chili may be frozen for later.