Green Tomato Pie
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 4 to 5 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon slat
- 4 cups thinly sliced peeled green tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- pastry for double-crust 9 inch pie
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon sugar
Combine first 5 ingredients in a large
mixing bowl; stir well. Add tomatoes and vinegar; stir gently to coat
tomatoes. Spoon mixture into a pastry-lined 9-inch pie plate.
Roll out remaining pastry, and carefully place over pie, leaving a 1-inch rim beyond edge of pan. Seal and flute edges; cut several slits in top to allow steam to escape. Combine remaining cinnamon and sugar, and sprinkle over top of pie. Cover pastry edge with aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning. Bake at 425 for 30 minutes, Remove foil and continue baking for 15 to 20 minutes.
A very long time ago, I made this pie for a family dinner. My uncles gathered around it, with small slices on little plates. They poked the pie, tasted it, poked it again, but they could not figure out what it was made of. They finally asked me and, being growers of home gardens, they were delighted that it was made from green tomatoes.
Recipe Links - or see All Links
- Coconut Macaroons
- Peanut Butter Cookies - Gluten Free
- Lemon Pecan Refrigerator Cookies
- Rice Crispy Treats
- Spicy Popcorn